We know “Pennyroyal Tea” as a song by Nirvana on the In Utero album but what exactly is Pennyroyal Tea?
It scientific name is Hedeoma pulegioides (American pennyroyal) grows in woods through most of the northern and eastern US and Canada. Pennyroyal is a perennial, creeping herb with small, lilac flowers at the stem ends.
Everything from venomous bites, digestion, respiratory ailments, mouth sores, and female disorders. The plant’s oil has been used as a flea-killing bath, and has been used externally as a counter-irritant. In addition, the oil has found frequent use among natural health advocates as an abortive and as a means of inducing delayed menses.
Seems Kurt Cobain wrote this song about the abortive measures of drinking the tea.
“Sit and drink Pennyroyal tea, Distill the life that’s inside of me”
The dose at which the herb induces abortion is close to lethal, and in some cases it is lethal. Pennyroyal is not considered safe for ingestion for any use but in case you want to make some, Here’s the recipe…
(Please read disclaimer below)
RECIPE FOR PENNYROYAL TEA
Disclaimer – Do not try this at home. Feelnumb.com, it’s readers, it’s friends and it’s enemies are not to be held responsible for any abortions or death’s caused by the recipe.
- – (2) tablespoons of blue cohosh root is used in combination with three tablespoons of pennyroyal leaves and two tablespoons of dried tansy
- – Boil the blue cohosh root is boiled in a quart of water for five minutes, while the pennyroyal tea and tansy is placed in a separate jar.
- – After the water has boiled, it is poured into the second jar and allowed to steep for 30 minutes.
- – After 30 minutes, the herbs are strained and the liquid is reheated.
- – It is recommended that a hot cup is given every four hours, up to five days or until bleeding occurs. To enhance the effectiveness of pennyroyal tea, a tablespoon of brewer’s yeast is added to every cup.
Even Kurt Cobain himself said in his journal:
“herbal abortive… it doesn’t work, you hippie.”